A globally competitive city:
- Cape Town’s been ranked globally as one of the top cities for Foreign Direct Investment strategy (FDI Intelligence, Global Cities of the Future winners 2016/17). The only African city listed in this category.
- 2016 Quality of Living Rankings, Mercer. Composite ranking: 92 out of 230. 3rd among African cities.
- 2014 Global Cities Index and Emerging Cities Outlook, AT Kearney. Composite ranking: 16 out of 34 emerging cities. Composite ranking: 71 out of 84 global cities. 4th among African cities.
- 2014 Global Metro Monitor Map, Bookings Institution. Composite ranking: 188 out of 300. 7th among African cities.
- 2013 Benchmarking global city competitiveness, The Economist Intelligence Unit. Composite ranking: 77 out of 120. 2nd among African cities. 28th position out of 120 cities for Institutional Effectiveness and 68% for Human Capital (69th position out 120 cities Physical Capital).
- 2008 Worldwide Centers of Commerce: Emerging Markets Index, MasterCard. Composite ranking: 33 out of 65. 2nd among African cities. Scores 1st for Business Environment, 5th for Economic and Commercial Environment, 5th for Risk and Security and 9th for Quality of Urban Life.