A globally competitive city:
- Cape Town’s been ranked globally as one of the top cities for Foreign Direct Investment strategy (FDI Intelligence, Global Cities of the Future winners 2016/17). The only African city listed in this category.
- 2018 Quality of Living Rankings, Mercer. Composite ranking: 94 out of 231. 3rd among African cities.
- 2018 Global Cities Index and Emerging Cities Outlook, AT Kearney. Composite index ranking: 73 out of 135 global cities. Composite outlook ranking: 113 out of 135 global cities. 3rd among African cities.
- 2018 Global Metro Monitor Map, Bookings Institution. Composite ranking: 284 out of 300. 8th among African cities.
- 2013 Benchmarking global city competitiveness, The Economist Intelligence Unit. Composite ranking: 77 out of 120. 2nd among African cities. 28th position out of 120 cities for Institutional Effectiveness and 68% for Human Capital (69th position out 120 cities Physical Capital).
- 2018 PwC Cities of Opportunity Report: Cape Town Africa’s Opportunity City. Overall, Cape Town ranks 24 out of all 31 cities, and sixth out of the middle-income country cities (MICCs), behind Beijing, Kuala Lumpur, Moscow, Shanghai and Mexico City. It is also top in Africa. Its strongest scores are for Cost, Ease of doing business, Transportation and Infrastructure, and Sustainability
and the natural environment, with moderate scores in Intellectual capital and innovation and Health, safety and security.
For more information about the cost of doing business in the city: